|Type of Source
|Primary: A firsthand account of an event that has previously been ubpublished
- A diary
- A scientific study that has not been published before
- A historic document, e.g. the Magna Carta, Declaration of Indepencence
|Secondary: This is one level removed from the primary. The author is analyzing, summarizing, and/or making conclusions about the content of the primary document.
- A review of a book, music, film, or art
- A newspaper article describing a scientific study
|Tertiary: This is one level further removed from the primary source. The content of the source refers to secondary rather than primary sources.
- Bibliographies and indexes used to locate primary resources