- Entries must be a physical cake. Interior should be styrofoam, decorations should be made using fondant, gumpaste, marzipan, royal icing or any other decorative medium which will display the interpretation of the book.
- In addition to a decorated entry, students must provide 1/4 sheet cake cut into bite sized pieces on the contest day. The cake should have a filling and flavors should correspond with book theme. Use of fondant and decor on the sheet cake is optional.
- The contest is open to any JWU student.
- Teams may be one or two students.
- At least one student must be present during judges' tasting so that they can explain their flavor selection.
- Entries may be submitted Thursday, March 8, 1pm through 10 pm.
- Place styrofoam order with Chef Kochi on Monday, March 12.
- Place food requisition order with Chef Kochi on Monday, March 19.
- Cakes must be set up in the Library by 9:30 pm, Monday, April 9, to be entered in the contest.
- From 8 am - 9 am on Tuesday, April 10, students can make any last minute adjustments to their cakes. After that time, any adjustments made will result in loss of points.
- Overall appearance (Cleanliness of finished work and wow factor)
- Portrayal of the book's title
- Lab Cleanup
Literary cakes can:
- Look like a book in form and shape
- Be inspired by a book or author
- Be a pun of a book title
- Refer to a book character or genre
- Reproduce a book cover
Most importantly, your cake should have something to do with a book!